Saturday, July 01, 2006

Monetizing Through RSS

How could we possibly discuss the future of content monetization without tossing RSS into the picture. I just stumbled upon this elaborate blog entry about Dick Costolo and the future of FeedBurner.

For the most part this entry is spot on but also relatively generic. We have been discussing ad embedded RSS for a few years now. Never the less, this post is quite informative if you happen to be reading up on RSS monetization.

The part of the entry I find particularly interesting and not at all generic is the RSS splicing concept. I have been thinking about this for some time. Last year I had planned to launch a blog directory of sorts. My idea was to manually categorize and splice related RSS feeds and serve them up in a directory format. At the time I had not been thoroughly exposed to the social bookmarking industry or I may have considered a tagging structure.

At the time I didn’t really have the technical expertise to efficiently splice and organize feeds. I also didn’t have a development budget to outsource the project so I moved on to other things. With an RSS splicing service my project would have been much easier to develop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home